Ice Optis to Avoid Arms Race

(1/2) > >>

Daniel Hearn:
In a bold move intended to preempt the initiation of an "arms race" in the Opti Class, the Executive Committee of the North American Ice Opti Racing Association, meeting today in a heavily guarded facility in an undisclosed location believed to be somewhere in Wisconsin, decided that insert runners would be banned from all championship events.  The committee also decided that sailors would be restricted to the use of a single set of plate runners for an entire regatta, with the only exception being in the case of a breakdown.  One official, speaking on the condition of anonymity said, "These kids will have plenty of opportunity for endless debate on the topic of an appropriate arsenal of runners when they get to the DN class.  Heck, just look at those knuckleheads, they've been fightin' about that for decades."

Specifics:
"Legal" plate runners shall not exceed 30" in length.  No minimum length.  Minimum thickness .150".  No maximum thickness.

Rationale:
Intent is to encourage the use of standard bullnose plate runners (e.g. Sarns), as they are readily available.  Or, runners comparable to the standard issue plates that come on the Stan Macur built boats from Poland.   

dn4889:
Good move. We need to keep this class simple and inexpensive. The next issue might be to ban carbon and kevlar.

us5285:
Dan,
Although I most heartly agree with your intent on keeping the ice opti class cheap, fair, and fun it might be a good idea to keep the class discussions open to all participants.  By getting input from all the members, and having discussions about new rules, we could avoid people building 30" long minimum - T thickness runners with carbon / honeycomb bodies.

At this point in time I think that if someone shows up with an ice opti, they sail no matter what is on the boat.  My oldest daughter would not of been able to sail at the NA's this year as I only had five bullnose runners for two boats, so she had to use my 30" front insert in order to sail. 

Thank you for your vision and hard work.  It doesn't go unnoticed nor unappreciated.

Chris  US5285

Daniel Hearn:
Hi Chris:

Point well-taken.  And I know we are on the same page regarding intent.  Discussions should most certainly be open to all participants.  My announcement was written rather "tongue in cheek" because I don't really have the authority to make any kind of "official" ruling on behalf of the participants.  I don't believe anybody does.  And I'm not sure how formal the participants want to make things.  There will be another announcement coming out from the Central Region shortly regarding an early February Junior event, and I thought it appropriate for potential participants to know as far in advance as possible of the runner restriction that will appear on the NOR. 

At this event, it would seem appropriate for all interested parties to get together to discuss things like this.  Let's plan on it. 

Happy New Year!

Daniel

John Davenport:
Hi Dan,

None of my concern, but did you really mean min thickness of 0.150"?  That is the min T spec.  Or did you mean 0.230" like DN plate minimum?

Happy New Year!

John  US-4961

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page