DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

March 28, 2024, 07:16:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: 2008 DN North American Regatta - Comments and status  (Read 13964 times)
Kentski
Class Member

« on: January 11, 2008, 10:01:37 AM »

OK
I left Boston last night @11pm and  now am driving through indiana. 

With the regatta been called for sun and with the knowledge of potential weather event over the night. Why?    With all due respect to volunteers to the class 

friday work day lost, possibly SAT.  I could have left tonite or even Sat pm saving time and money for a monday start should we all be fortunate to find a location in the meantime
And we wonder why Participation in NA is low.........  just one of the reasons

regards

somewhere westbound on 90    3535 , G107  4512

« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 05:23:47 AM by Ken Smith » Logged
MICHAEL
Class Member

2007 Western Regions Gull Lke

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 10:27:06 AM »

Mark Kiefer( the ice maker)and I are on way from Mpls to Pepin right now to sail at Lake City, MN. First hand report from DN Adam Koller this morning at 9AM looks very promising. He walked it, drilled hole 8-12 inches, no new snow. half grey ice and refrozen old snow and half rummbly black ice which had some rain and melting last week. No drifts or cracks observed.
Could be a very good option for the NA's
Mike DN5369

Mike DN5369
John Davenport
Class Member

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 10:37:03 AM »

Kentski,
Remember there was a Class vote to lock in the dates for the NA's & GC.  Now we are paying the price.  However, we do have ice and we will race.  Will there be a delay?  Maybe, but that is why we also voted to block off the whole week to get it in.  I do understand how you feel, but we voted these rules in...
That being said, I hope to roadtrip out East next season.  Every time I have traveled East, I have had a very memorable regatta!
See you in the bar!

Couch  US-4961
sekollera

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 04:01:21 PM »

Here is what we are looking at at Lake City, MN (aka Lake Pepin, aka, the Missisippi River). I drove the perimeter this AM and sent two sailors down there to test-drive. 7 DN's went were sailing, 2 with ranked skippers.

Mind you, NO VENUE CHANGE HAS BEEN CALLED YET as of Friday, Jan 11. But do know that the entire MSP area completly ducked the last snowstorm.

In summary, "Ice is rumbly, hard, and fast with no boat control issues or hazards across a 6 x 2 = 12 square mile area" (this was the area sailed - there is much more out there).

There is no snow at all on the ice and a clear forecast.

Much more info including picures at the link here:

http://www.iceboating.net/node/2297

Respectfully submitted,
Adam Koller
US 5366
MICHAEL
Class Member

2007 Western Regions Gull Lke

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 09:12:26 PM »

The Hotline #414-297-9238 at 4PM Friday reports the DN NA's have officially been moved to Lake City MN at Lake Pepin on Hwy 61. Launch site currently is at Roschen Park on the South edge of town appox 1 Mile past the Marina in town. This is where I and Mark Kiefer sailed on Friday from 1-2:30 PM in west wind of 8-10 MPH. I sailed from this launch about 2 miles north, across the lake 3 miles to Wisconsin side and south about 3 miles. I then went up and down in the middle of lake appox 2mile legs. There were no hazards, open spots, duck holes, ridges, or cracks observed. The nearest fissure was about 2 miles south from launch that was white and stood up about 1 foot. I stopped to inspect and found no open water in area. All of this ice is very sailable, no snow on it yet a little rumbly, but easy to make a high speed turn( I tried a few leeward roundings in the middle)

The ice as reported by Adam is at 8-10 inches 100 yards out from launch. I was able to drive GMC Envoy 20 yards onto ice to unload. Should be fine for trailers. The Headquarters Condo, bar and restaurant Willows is appox 3 miles north of launch site. If a suitable launch site is in that area, the official site could be moved. The sailors on Saturday can file a report. Stay to the north of the launch site as a small outlet drain keeps the edge to the south open a few feet out. We also visited with 5 other cruising DN's who sailed all afternoon north side of Lake City and found no problems and had good scrub racing. The ice is darker colored and presumed better at South side of town where we set up.
Kiefer and I rate this as good ice, the best in MN or Wisc, so come and join in the DN NA's. Registration is Sun afternoon and eve.

Mike
DN5369

Mike DN5369
Kentski
Class Member

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 04:02:11 PM »

Hey all

Arrived at peppin around midday today   Sat

Looks very promising to the ice

just one day early for me

well done to all.....................

regards jk
mcdowell

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 12:22:56 PM »

Greetings from warm and cozy Martha's Vineyard where former ice-boaters Scott and Charlie send regards to the brave lads that are banging around the mid-west looking for sailabe ice. Good luck. I am off for Hawaii and I don't have to sharpen!

4315 Scott McDowell
texana

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 11:53:02 AM »

Photos (400+) from Monday are posted online at http://www.dallasjohnson.net/08-DN-NA.htm
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 11:55:43 AM by texana » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: