DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 28, 2024, 06:14:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sail adjustments  (Read 6644 times)
sq_waver

« on: September 04, 2008, 11:41:13 AM »

Could anyone tell me if class rules allow boom vangs or cunninghams to be installed on a DN?
The class rules say the boom can not be restricted, I'm assuming that only means no goosenecks?

Regards
sq_waver
JOHN BUSHEY
Class Member

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 01:48:06 PM »

I doubt they are allowed, someone else can comment on that.  But there is really no need for them since the boom is free to slide vertically and sheet tension is an auto cunningham.  No need for a vang either since they are always sailed close hauled.
DN 805
Class Member

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 02:29:18 PM »

The specifications that apply are:
D. Boom #6.  Boom jaws are optional.  Devices which prevent or hinder movement of the boom on the mast are prohibited except for check wire. 

H. Rigging   
#14.  Six sheet blocks shall be installed.  #15, #16, #17 , #19 more exactly specify the location of the six sheet blocks. 

I. Fittings
#1 and #2 tell us more about the sheet blocks.
#4: "Hardware need not conform to plans as long as specifications are not violated and hardware performs the same function that the plan item performs."

Cunningham and vang do not appear on the plans and could not be used because they would not perform the same function as any item on the plan.

And John Bushey is correct.  The way the DN is sailed on all points of sail, trimmed hard with the back boom blocks trimmed down in-between the deck blocks and the forward boom block almost touching the block on the tiller post, cunningham and vang are not needed.

The harder you pull, the faster you go.

...regards
Jane Pegel
DN 805
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: