DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 27, 2024, 05:32:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: US border issues FYI  (Read 7884 times)
dn4379
ADMIN

« on: January 26, 2009, 09:17:11 PM »

For US citizens reentering US from Canada:
Get latest information at www.getyouhome.gov       Basically, it says a passport or other document is required after June 1,2009.
   Looks like it is not a problem is for this iceboating season.  Lots of snow up there this season anyway.
    There are other documents that will do;  a card issued by the fed. government or an "enhanced" drivers license available in some states.  You will need something to reenter from Canada for next season.
Ken Smith
ADMIN

sail often, travel light

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 05:51:17 PM »

Angry

I have a passport, but my last trip, proof of citizenship was required.  I saw others stopped and having to get copies of birth certificates faxed to prove US citizenship.  I had to spend a few hours in Canada to inspect some equipment for work, and needed a work permit to enter Canada.  A royal pain.  Plus now forever "Yes, I was denied entry into Canada."

Our neighbors to the north and south, have more problems traveling across that border than ever and certainly more than travel within Europe.

Ken Smith
DN4137US
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 11:57:35 PM »

I have a passport, but my last trip, proof of citizenship was required.
Shocked
When was this? 
Everything I've read indicates that a passport should be adequate to get across the border. Huh  Undecided

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
Ken Smith
ADMIN

sail often, travel light

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 07:58:41 AM »

Sorry for the confusion...

I was talking about folks without passports.  You have to prove citizenship.  Passport OR birth certificate plus ID does this to the best of my knowledge.  As I have experienced it, you are at the whim of the customs official at the border.

http://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=74&p_created=1043364936&p_sid=mzU6E2pj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjM1LDIzNSZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPTI4MyZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PTEuMjgzJnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1

Question
     What documents, identification, paperwork does a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident (LPR) need to travel internationally?
     Answer

If you are traveling in the Western Hemisphere, (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central and South America):  Spring

ALL persons*, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda are required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document.

Oral declarations are no longer accepted from U.S., Canadian or Bermudan travelers seeking to enter the U.S. by sea and/or land.  Travelers will need to present a valid government issued ID and a birth certificate or naturalization certificate.

On June 1, 2009 all U.S. and Canadian citizens who are 16 and older  traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), will be required to present a valid passport or other alternative documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security.  U.S. and Canadian citizens who are 15 years old or younger will still be allowed to travel with just a copy of their birth certificate, as will teens between the age of 16-18 if they are part of an adult supervised school, religious, cultural or athletic group.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 08:14:14 AM by Ken Smith » Logged

Ken Smith
DN4137US
Bob Gray
Class Member

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 08:25:45 AM »

Prior to June, is a birth certificate and a valid picture ID such as a state drivers license adequate to cross back in from Canada.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: