DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

March 28, 2024, 05:42:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: block to block  (Read 11198 times)
iceboater000
« on: January 30, 2009, 05:45:27 AM »

i read in ronīs article that with strong winds the distance between dn`s deck end and boom should be 25 cm and in light air winds 35cm, if so then if i pull the sheet all way in, then in light air the sail will be very flat which is needed in high speed winds. Does light air wind sail`s angle is different than high speed wind, like so that when its 2,3 mps wind then light wind sail`s boom end is pointed much lower than high speed windīs? do i need to sail block-to-block with every wind if i build up some speed?
Ken Smith
ADMIN

sail often, travel light

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 01:43:28 PM »

Well, you will need to go block to block to go into fourth gear...

The mast has to bend to go fast.  The extra inch makes it so you can force the bend.

But don't over-sheet in light air!  Tacking, sail deep and wait until you get to speed before tightening the sail back up.  Turning down wind, you may need to ease more than normal in light air, certainly after a gybe.

You will see all the top sailors with the boom off their shoulders, sheet slack, in light air except when boat speed is built way up.

Ken

Ken Smith
DN4137US
DNUS1006

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 08:55:13 AM »

Maybe should start a new post but since your on the subject of block to block what about the riser like Pete Johns is using? What are some comments about it? pro, I know it gives you a little more shoulder room, but what else? looks like you would not be able to sheet as hard. Huh   
Bob Gray
Class Member

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 04:48:57 PM »

I've been sailing a riser block for a few years now and I love it. One very important thing that has to be accomplished when sheeting block to block is to have the boom on center line and the riser does the job as well as a boat without. I've found no performance degradation with the riser. I tend to raise the sail a little higher with the halyard then before. To get the same mast bend I set my boat up for more flex in the mast (a tighter headstay to mast angle).
                                              Bob
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: