mast rake measuring

(1/1)

iceboater000:
what is the best way to measure the mast rake? measuring headstay`s length isn`t the best idea, because it will stretch in time. measuring with eye isnt very good idea also, because then i cant take notes for using it for the future.
thank you!

basmoss:
I use an angle gauge from the hardware store.  70 degrees from the horizontal is the "normal" number.  I disengage the parking brake first to ensure the boat is level.  Ben Shaevitz  DN US 5395

Ken Smith:
Measuring the perpendicular distance from head stay to the mast base is easy and repeatable.  It actually tells you how acute the forestay angle is to your mast, a close correlation to mast compression, which is what you really are tuning.  But what is the best angle?

This well-debated subject is captured in teh Collective Wisdom section of the archives.  DNAmerica.org and click on the bottom left selection.

The tuning guide discussions are excellent.

Bob Gray:
Last weekend we had a dozen Gold and Silver fleet boats on Torch Lake (including 2 present and past world champs). On Sunday it was too windy to sail so Don Jones and I went around and measured the headstay to mast step distances. They all came in between 34" and 35". I need to add that these masts were primarily Ron Sherry's fiberglass and carbon spars.

Navigation

[0] Message Index