DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 29, 2024, 08:08:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: old vs. new hull designs  (Read 7594 times)
interceptor

« on: January 27, 2009, 08:55:30 PM »

What advantage does a new modern Goodwin design have over an older Norton or even older Sarns design hull if it is for recreational use only ? The boat would use an old wood mast and plate runners. A old school Sarns design with modern adhesives appears to be easier to build since there isn't a need to resaw the aft end and there seems to be less total parts.
Help, suggestions please.
ed

"water always wins"
DN 805
Class Member

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 07:35:38 AM »

A boat built to DN Class plans, Gougeon plans, or Goodwin plans will be infinitely stronger than one built to Sarns plans and will be lighter weight.  You may find DN Class plans, because there is a flat bottom, easier to build from than the Gougeon or Goodwn plans.

The improved engineering of the construction of the boats so as to be able to carry the loads required when sailing has resulted in simply much better boats than the old Sarns plans.  This includes the static load of the skipper and the loads produced by the rig and the ice conditions.

Modern designs are widest near the seatback, consequently there is more room for the skipper, making it more comfortable to sail.

The fact that the fuselage will likely be 20 to 30 lbs lighter if built from modern plans makes it alot more fun to go sailing, carrying the boat and transporting the boat.

The bend in the aft portion of the side panels is easy to do and well worth the effort.

For maximum enjoyment, I highly recommend that you explore upgrading to a modern mast.  Many used ones available at give away prices.  You'll be amazed how much more fun it is to sail and how much easier to transport and trim, and without the maintenance issues of a wood mast.

...DN 805
member and former chair of the Technical Committee

scroth08
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 03:19:33 PM »

Ed;
 Definitely build the newer style for all the reasons posted above, especially the weight consideration. I have an old-style DN which isn't too tough to carry to the ice BEFORE I sail, but after a hard day of sailing, it was really tough to get loaded back on the top of my truck's ladder rack when muscles are tired - I now slide it onto a Sunfish-size trailer with built-in guide rails. My hull alone - built in approx 1955! - weighs in at 85 pounds. Your results may vary. Besides, you may want to upgrade in the future so the racer's you end up sailing with don't leave you miles behind when they're out just for fun...
Scott C.
interceptor

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 03:40:25 PM »

Thanks guys. I'll go with the newer design.
ed

"water always wins"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: