DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 29, 2024, 05:55:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Goodwin hull templates  (Read 11945 times)
Capt Dave

« on: February 04, 2008, 07:14:54 AM »

We just finished my son Michaels (13yrs) hull, built using paul's plans and templates. For anyone thinking about building a DN this is the way to go. Paul has done a great job on these templates and are well worth the $50-. The time you'll save is amasing, mike and I finished the boat in a month. Thanks Paul.....Dave 5116
flip

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 02:37:39 PM »

Hi I know this is an old post but I thought i would try.
I am planning on ordering the templates my self and was wondering what was all included.
I know you can build the hull but what about the springboard, mast and boom?
DN 805
Class Member

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 05:55:21 PM »

If you are building a DN, there is no springboard.
If you are planning to modify a DN to use a springboard, then you must very much increase the framing in the forward portion of the hull.
The design of the DN hull is intended for a 12 ft. structure.  Adding a springboard increases the overall length of the boat and the standard framing for a 12 ft. boat is not strong enough.

IDNIYRA class plans include drawings for a mast, boom and runner plank.

The best thing to do is sit down and talk to a DN sailor who has built some boats to get some tips on what works and what does not work.   Racing DNs are using masts built with fiberglass and carbon fiber.  These have been comon for 12 years.
Aluminum booms have been common for more than 35 years are are indestructible.

good luck
DN 805
flip

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 06:38:43 PM »

my terminology isn't great. not the spring board but the one that's in the rear. I just want to be able to build the whole boat with out getting stuck on something and having no idea how to do it. Are Pau'ls plans IDNIYRA class?
DN 805
Class Member

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 08:48:12 PM »

A DN is defined as an iceboat that meets the tolerances as established in the several pages of official IDNIYRA specifications.

You need not worry about whether or not Paul Goodwin's plans meet the official specifications because Paul is chairman of the Technical Committee, thus he is fully aware of the requirements established in the specifications.

The International DN Ice Yacht Racing Association publishes plans that also meet the specifications.  These plans are an example of how a DN may be built.  Paul, and may others, have drawn plans that differ from those published by the IDNIYRA, but as long as a boat falls within the tolerances in the specifications, it is a DN.

Consequently a DN can be built to fit tall people, short people, young people, old people, skinny people, and fat people.  That is what makes the DN so special.

...DN 805

Official specifications can be purchased from the Treasurer of the IDNIYRA.  If you go to www.IDNIYRA.org you will find how out to order IDNIYRA publications.
Ken Smith
ADMIN

sail often, travel light

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 06:41:02 AM »

Jane is also a tech committee member...

But to answer your question, Paul's plans and template, and about 20-40 hours of quality shop time, get you a hull or fuselage.  You need hardware, a plank, a boom, a mast, runners and a sail.  The class specifications show examples of all of these and have sufficient information to make something that would work.

The plank (cross piece in the back) is easy to build.  One good day in the shop to get the wood done.  The boom can be hard only because it is hard to make it straight and functional in wood.  The mast in wood requires requires 16 foot pieces and can be made functional if you can cut and jig those kind of lengths, but the mast you get will not be as easy to sail and will not be as durable or nearly as fast as a used composite mast.   Plan on 20 hours of shop time. 

Making the hardware is possible from the class plans if you have access to the right tools and raw material, but it will not reflect refinements and innovation put into the purchased hardware. Clever DN sailors spending many idle hours have evolved the stuff on sale to a high degree.  Runners, chocks and steering hardware is particularly difficult.

I could never make a useful sail, due to skills, tools, and material I can reasonably lay hands on.  I have assisted in making composite masts, but the tooling to make one is way too much for me to start from scratch.  I have no interest in making any more wood masts.  I have made a few hardware components, but the cost in money usually is far better than my cost as time spent.  What I consider clever personal innovation led to the exceptions.

All that you chose to buy is available used.

Suggestion: Get a sail or two in on a good boat and decent ice, talk to a fanatic or two, then dive in.

Ken Smith
DN4137US
flip

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 04:11:26 PM »

Thank You
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: