DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 26, 2024, 05:16:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: World Champ Daily results and report 2009  (Read 19052 times)
Fredrik Lönegren DN S-8
Class Member

« on: February 09, 2009, 03:46:56 AM »

PLEASE put out the results and a short daily report about the conditions.
All people in the world want that
Thanks and good racing
NationalSec DN Sweden
Fredrik Lönegren  (and the rest of Euorpe)

BR/ Fredrik Lönegren Ph. or SMS +46 707 307 306
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 05:51:11 AM »

So far there are two sources being updated daily for information on the Worlds:  www.tiyc.net ,  and http://iceboat.org/seasons/08-09/dn/0809dn.html

These are both being done by sailors who are a little tired, and information might be a little slow in coming at times, so bear with us! 
DN5355
Class Member

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 01:40:51 PM »

Here is all I can find:

Gold fleet race 1: http://iceboating.net/node/2642

Silver Fleet race 2:  http://iceboating.net/node/2644

It's not much but better than nothing.
Paul Goodwin - US 46
ADMIN

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 08:13:03 PM »

Results are still being compiled.  AFAIK, these are the top 5 boats in the Gold Fleet:

1)  Matt Struble
2)  Ron Sherry
3)  Bernd Zeiger
4)  Mishal Burczinski
5)  Tomasz Zakrewski

Trophy presentations tomorrow (Wednsesday) at 1pm
Registration for North Americans at 2pm at Holiday Inn, Traverse City, Michigan
Primary racing site North Torch Lake, Michigan

Start of North american Championship weather dependant.

Paul Goodwin
DN US-46
DN 805
Class Member

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 08:30:39 PM »

I think Paul has the days confused.  Tomorrow is Tuesday on my calendar. 
That's what happens when you're at a regatta.  The days sort of meld together while you're having fun.

..Jane
Jim McDonagh [us5214]
Class Officer

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 01:33:58 AM »

Here's the link to the full results

http://www.idniyra.org/results/results09_worlds.html
Ken Smith
ADMIN

sail often, travel light

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 07:45:51 AM »

Regarding schedules and communications to the rest of the world:

We have a volunteer organization for race committee and scoring.  THey are on the ice from an hour prior to the first start to scout, set the course, and prepare to score the first race.  They record the passage of each boat at teh leeward mark in each race.  They sort the order of finish, transcribe the order for the next start sequence, figure out who was "Barted" and how many laps each boat completed when there is anyone lapped (Barted).  THey compile the finish results after the race so all can see teh score sheets.  These have to be adjusted for protests, boats that withdrew for rule violations, etc.  By the way, they have to eat, sleep and sometimes even be merry.

THANK YOU scorers and committee!

After the worlds, part of the committee has to sort and prepare the trophies.  Part has to set up registration for 100 competitoers or more for the North Americans.

Most of the committee is either on the ice to do their committee-thing or to race. 

And at the Worlds this year,  19 races held for all, 9 course and line resets, and all in two days.

THANK YOU race committees!

If you want to know what is going on real time, come on down!

Otherwise, we are doing pretty well with info transfer, IMHO.

Priorities:  To the race, to the sailors at the race, and then to the rest of the world. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 08:17:00 AM by Ken Smith » Logged

Ken Smith
DN4137US
interceptor

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 12:49:36 PM »

Ken,
I'm new to iceboating, recently bought a project DN. I have never seen them race but hoped to get a chance during this event. I know weather has a major impact on these events and I also understand your saying the priorties are "to the race, the racers and then the rest of the world."
I also read discussions on regarding the need to grow the sport. To do that we the new ones need to SEE the sport and without a schedule that is tough. "If you want to know what is going on real time, come on down!" is a poor invite for a world event.

"water always wins"
Scott Brown
Class Member

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 03:18:24 PM »

Dear interceptor:

To a newbie, it may not make total sense, but Ken's answer was a good one.   There isn't an advanced schedule as to when races begin.  We show up and stand ready.  Sometimes we wait for conditions to be right, and sometimes we start racing right away.    One may drive 20 minutes or 20 hours.    And that's why Ken suggested this to you -- show up.  Ask questions.  Get a feel for what's going on.

It's part of the game and you're welcome to join the circus.

Browner
Fredrik Lönegren DN S-8
Class Member

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 03:59:19 PM »

First. I stand on my knees for the king. MATT, you are an excellent sailor !!!!!!!!!

WHAT happened with this treed. 7 answers that not are related to results.
I hope that the DN US organisation will open a new treed for the NA and put daily report whit results. It’s necessary. (Sport-journalist/ bloggers need to know)
Good luck
DN Sweden (and the rest of Europe/World)

BR/ Fredrik Lönegren Ph. or SMS +46 707 307 306
DN4287

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 05:13:34 PM »

Sounds to me like we need another volunteer to do just that, Write a short report and compile what results are available that evening even if it's a listing of the top 5 boats.  Remember that there may be protests and that will impact getting the up to date results.   Those who are already volunteering have enough to do. Any takers?

By the way, the RC was on the ice between 7:30 AM and 8 Am every day looking for suitable ice.  We sailed a total of 38 miles before the North Americans started looking for a safe race course and that was in a 10 to 12 sq mile area.  The RC was the last off the ice as the sun was setting.  That's about a 10 hour work day and few of us get a chance to sit down. 

But my hat goes off to the scorers, they get to stand on the finish line in harms way all day reading and writing sail numbers and taking little time to much else.  They are the ones who tally the results.  Thanks to all that do that job - no names as I don't want to leave anyone out.

John Atkins

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: