Dolly (aka Darling) marks

(1/4) > >>

Ken Smith:
There have been several table-discussions, over beverages, usually, about the use of Darling marks.

A darling mark is a sister mark to the rounding mark, placed to force competitors to tack or gybe no closer than that mark to the rounding point.  This would prevent tacks at the weather mark into traffic, gybes after the weather mark into incoming traffic, and move incoming starboard tack boats a bit away from the leeward mark.

The theory is that this would make the likelihood of collision less at the marks. 

It might go like this:

"At the discretion of the race committee, darling marks may be specified.  If darling marks are placed, they shall be placed approximately twenty meters down wind of the weather mark and/or twenty meters upwind of the leeward mark.  Competitors shall not pass between the darling mark and the rounding mark while racing, except competitors may pass between the leeward darling mark and the leeward mark after starting and before rounding the first weather mark.  The darling marks shall be considered mark s of the course for the purpose of the rules, and must be left to port in the course of rounding the adjacent mark, which also must be left to port. The placement of darling marks, if used,  shall have been specified in the racing instructions."

DN 805:
I believe the term is "Darling' marks, named after the gentleman who first had the idea about 50 years ago.

The problem with using Darling marks is that the NIA

DN 805:
Sorry, I did not complete the previous comment before I accidentally hit "enter".

The problem with Darling marks is that the right of way rules under which we sail were designed for races sailed around windward leeward courses using two marks, not four marks. 

Carefully thought out amendments to the rules need to be implemented to accommodate using Darling marks.   If a class organization feels it important to consider the use of Darling marks, I suggest the class make a formal request to the board of directors of the National Iceboat Authority asking that a deliberate study be made as to what amendments would be required.

Caution must be made to assure that the sailing rules are the same whether or not Darling marks are being used because sailors will forget what applies in a certain race and will not make correct decisions in converging situations.    Prior to the writing of the current NIA rules, each regatta used different right of way rules.  That is why the classes and associations appointed a committee to write one set of rules. 

The inside and outside boat at marks becomes a particularly critical issue when a tack or gybe is necessary to honor a Darling mark. 

When the wind shifts (which  happens during a race as well as between races), a Darling mark in the wrong place can be a disaster.

What rules apply when two boats are sailing on-the-wind on starboard tack and one boat is "laying" the Darling mark and one boat is not "laying" the Darling mark.  What if six or eight boats are in this situation? 

Similar issues occur with boats sailing off-the-wind.

A simple phrase "Do not sail through here" does not suffice (which essentially is what occurs when a Darling mark is used).  Rules need to clarify the responsibilities of each boat and how it must respond when a fleet is approaching the "do not sail through here" zone. 

I suggest that the size of a fleet be governed by the size of the available ice.  It seems to me that 50 boats on a course with the marks .8 miles apart is simply asking for trouble.  I believe the documents governing DN regattas give the governing committee the authority to reduce fleet size when necessary.  I fully understand that smaller fleets means more races,  but perhaps safer races.

...DN 805

Ken Smith:
Hmm

One issue as what of boats that have no room or under-stand the weather mark, and must pass below that mark...

"At the discretion of the race committee, darling marks may be specified.  If darling marks are placed, they shall be placed approximately twenty meters down wind of the weather mark and/or twenty meters upwind of the leeward mark.  The darling marks shall be considered mark s of the course for the purpose of the rules, and must be left to port in the course of rounding the adjacent mark, which also must be left to port. The placement of dolly marks, if used,  shall have been specified in the racing instructions

Competitors shall not pass between the dolly mark and the rounding mark while racing, except:

a)   competitors may pass between the leeward dolly mark and the leeward mark after starting and before rounding the first weather mark.  .

b) a boat that fails to properly round the mark and passes to teh course side of that mark must turn keepint the dolly mark to port whenreturning to properly round the mark"

Fredrik Lönegren DN S-8:
Not 20 meters
100-120 meters between the big mark and the Dollymark. Important to have that distance if they should do any effect on the safety.
Way wait!! Look into NIA rule A, that says you must use your common sense.
Good luck and try the Dolly marks at your regattas.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page