DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Steering Assembly Help  (Read 10636 times)
Ayes

« on: March 16, 2009, 08:50:43 AM »

I just purchased a used DN and while bringing it home on the trailer the bolt in the top of the steering post vibrated out and the springs and washers were all lost.  I have only had the boat since Friday and I did not look closely enough at the post assembly to know what parts I am missing nor do I have the measurement of how far the post extends beyond the body of the boat.

I am sure that there are any number of set ups to put this back together. I would appreciate any photos, drawings or parts lists that anyone could provide to help me put humpty dumpty together again.

Thanks in advance.

Neil Lynch

If you don't do it this year you will be another year older when you do.

Warren Miller
Bob Gray
Class Member

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 06:18:17 PM »

Neil,
    I'm assuming that the boat is using Sarns hardware, most boats do. If it's single arm/rod steering and most likely even if it is cable steering, you'll need one common 1/2 inch washer and a 3/4" long 1/2" fine threaded bolt to fix the top. The standard spring is 3" long and somewhat stiff. In a pinch I've seen guys take a tennis ball or something similar, cut a hole in each side and slip it over the shaft. Pretty simple stuff.
                                            Bob
Ayes

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 07:46:32 AM »

Thanks for the reply Bob,

I am off to the hardware store and sporting goods shop for parts.  I should be back together in no time.

Neil

Warren Miller
Sunfish1909

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 08:28:27 AM »

A couple in our crew use some platform tennis balls which are solid and heavy, but provide some chock absorbtion. There is a great selection of springs at your local Farm and Fleet  Farm Store or a Tractor Supply store too. Try    www.mcmaster.com   too for any other items. They have some specialty fastners there too. Best of luck.

Sunfish1909
sarnshardware

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 07:37:08 AM »

Don't forget to call sarnshardware we have parts that  can fix this problem  586-739-5428
Ayes

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 09:47:39 AM »

thanks for all of the help.  Hats off to Bob, sunfish 1909 and sarns.  I may have to experiment with all of these different ssuggestions.

Ayes

Warren Miller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: