Junior Sailing Input Desired

<< < (2/3) > >>

Geoff Sobering:
Quote from: DN 805 on March 20, 2009, 10:18:21 AM

The way to beat that game [per season limits] is to buy or build a new boat every couple of weeks, ...

I was intending that the runners (and any other equipment limited that way) would be registered to the sailor, not the boat.

Substitutions would be allowed (just as currently within a regatta) for broken/damaged equipment with the appropriate form and explanation.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Don Williams:
In regards to runners:
What are the dimensions and style of the various runners that have been seen in US and Europe?

Daniel Hearn:
Don:

Restrictions on runners in Europe are minimal.  Here's a link for details:  http://www.icesailing.org/

Summary:  inserts or plates

Inserts:  length 914 mm max/no min; thickness 3 - 6.8 mm; height 50 - 76 mm
Plates:   length 760 mm max/no min; thickness 3 - 6.8 mm; height 95 - 127 mm

They also use T's.

Daniel
US5352

Fity Five---0:
My .02

As a parent who is going to build an opti or two.  I think keeping it a tight one design, would keep the costs down. Having just a plate runner the same as a DN rule would help this. 
Keeping the cost's down and making it very simple having it be more one design w/ minimal options will make it more affordable to more parents and increase potential participation.

DN 5050

Geoff Sobering:
Quote from: Fity Five---0 on March 26, 2009, 10:57:25 AM

I think keeping it a tight one design, would keep the costs down.

Just a bit of background.  The main impetus for have loose(ish) specs was to allow folks to use spare equipment that they have "lying around".  DN plate runners are distressingly expensive new ($700 for a set from Sarns), and used ones are sometimes hard to find.  If you have an old set of non-plate runners (ex. non-stainless T's) then it's cheaper to use them rather than try and get a "class legal" set.

With all that said, with enough class-support (ex. help finding low-cost/used plate runners) then the advantages of the more restrictive specs in keeping the class more one-design are substantial.

Finally, one should note that I believe the proposed "any plate runner that would be considered legal within the DN class" does allow some pretty exotic runners (ex. the $525 (ea.) 440C "Slipper" runner that Composite Concepts makes).  We might want to consider a spec that is more specific (ex. non-stainless plate with Aluminum bar stiffeners).

Cheers,

Geoff S.
US-5156

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page