DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 29, 2024, 02:17:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Land Sailing Conversions  (Read 32346 times)
Bosch232

« on: March 31, 2009, 07:43:27 PM »

Has anyone converted their DN for land sailing?
I've built a few non-DN land sailors, and they were a ton of fun.

I'm curious to know if anyone does this.
Ken Smith
ADMIN

sail often, travel light

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 09:04:42 PM »

There were a few converted and sailing at the America's Landsailing Cup about 15 years ago.  All added a spring board for the steering, and most used very stiff masts.  This was right at the end of the wood mast era.   Kent Hatch, who lives near Tahoe, had one he sailed several times.  Because of the sail area, they had to compete in class three, where the competitive boats have very high aspect ratio sails and a much larger platform.  I believe there was even a conversion package or drawings published either in RunnerTracks or elsewhere.  Anyone have RunnerTrack archives?

Race a 16 foot mast against a 22 foot mast and  a faired, enclosed body and a 15-18 foot plank, and guess who is fastest by a bunch!

There are a few technical and rule issues.  Landsailing at that meet requires a technical inspection and a restraint (seatbelt) is one of the requirements.  Also some kind of roll-over protection if the rig is judged too weak.  An out-of-boat experience on the playa is not fun.  DNs accelerate off the start like a dream, but cannot point as high or go nearly as fast downwind.  Plus at that time, the races included reaching legs, and a DN on a reach is a real handful! 

Now, there is a new class coming along, the ST49.  Similar construction, but with a wing.  See the yahoo group Wing Boats. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 08:13:34 AM by Ken Smith » Logged

Ken Smith
DN4137US
sam myers 5454

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 11:45:15 PM »

Look up a blokart!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: