DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 29, 2024, 02:46:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about Boom Specs  (Read 8249 times)
DN5135

Jeff

« on: April 09, 2009, 04:41:08 PM »

I was reading the specifications and I am not clear on the ruling over blocks attached to the boom.

What I would like to do is slot the boom and carry the blocks through their bails on a rod inside the boom. The sheaves would still be outside of the boom and this would in effect be the same as mounting a slotted carrier on the boom with a rod to carry the blocks. I like the approach because it is cleaner, less expensive, and the block positions could be adjusted through multiple slots.

I suspect this is not allowed, but that makes no sense to me if adjustable block positions are allowed. I was thinking of doing this with a standard 1.75"x2.75" aluminum boom extrusion.
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 05:26:34 PM »

What I would like to do is slot the boom and carry the blocks through their bails on a rod inside the boom.

I'm not 100% clear what you're planning to do.  Is it similar to the setup in the attached photo?

Cheers,

Geoff S.
Us-5156

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
Bob Gray
Class Member

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 06:06:57 PM »

The sheave of the block must be outside/clear of the boom. The rest of the pulley assembly may extend into the boom.
                         Bob
DN5135

Jeff

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »

The picture is exactly What I wanted to do!  Thanks for the help.
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 09:19:48 PM »

The picture is exactly What I wanted to do!  Thanks for the help.

Anytime!  Glad to be able to help out.

As far as I know, it's a pretty standard technique for mounting blocks to a boom.  I'd recommend narrower and more closely spaced slots than are shown in the photo to get a finer adjustment capability. I have a Bryant extrusion (I think) with about 1/4" slots milled on about 1/2" centers that seems better than the setup I had when that photo was taken.

Cheers,

Geoff S.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 09:22:28 PM by Geoff Sobering » Logged

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: