DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 25, 2024, 02:25:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sideboard repair: use vacum to suck glue through crack  (Read 19430 times)
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« on: December 11, 2006, 12:31:40 PM »

Somewhere I remember reading about a technique to repair a cracked sideboard by taping plastic film over some breather material (paper towel, I think...) on one side of the crack and using a shop-vac to pull glue through the crack.  For the life of me I can't find the original posting/article/discussion. 

A friend's boat got beat up last weekend and one of the problems is a crack in the sideboard.  It looks like an ideal place to apply this technique.  It seems simple enough, but I was wondering if anyone can help me with any hints, tips, and/or "gotchas" that I should know about.

Cheers,

Geoff S.
US-5156

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
DN5355
Class Member

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 08:01:39 PM »

Geoff,

I think you're talking about JD's technique that was detailed by Paul Goodwin here:
http://cerebus.winsite.com/laser/DNboard/mesgConst/973.html

While at the Minnesota Challenge (Fall Tune-up, Western Challenge, JD Invitational, whatever it was called ...) I learned a new trick for bonding cracks in side panels. I wish I had witnessed it first hand, but I have a good description of the event. JD demonstrated this new technique to the wonderment of the Detroit sailors who were witnesses. Start by folding up some paper towels and lay them along the inside of the crack. Cover the paper towels with a strip of clear plastic and tape the plastic to the inside of the hull. Put a small slit in the plastic and tape a shop-vac hose over the slit. Turn the hull so the crack is level, and preheat the hull in the repair area. Mix up some epoxy, turn on the shop-vac, and lay a bead of epoxy along the crack. The vac will draw the epoxy into the crack, so keep applying epoxy on the outside until you see it coming through and soaking into the paper towel on the inside. Once the crack is completely filled, turn off the vac and align/clamp the hullside. Voila!!! This easiest, most effective method for repairing a hullside crack I've heard of.
Tom
JOHN BUSHEY
Class Member

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 01:09:21 PM »

Both sideboards on my boat blew apart last year and I used this method to repair it with great success.

See the repair steps here:

http://web.mac.com/jabushey/iWeb/Riley%20Retreat/DN%20Repair.html

John
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 01:16:45 PM »

Thanks everybody!   Grin

That is exactly what I was looking for (don't know how I missed the original DN BBS posting... Embarrassed)

Cheers,

Geoff S.

keukaflyer

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 09:11:04 PM »

Does anybody have any more information on this?  The original post is from 2006 and the links are broken.  I discovered a crack in my side after last season and am getting ready to repair it.    Someplace I read about drilling 1/8" holes through the crack every inch or so and injecting it all with epoxy.  This system sounds better.

Looking for any help, pictures, etc.  I think I have the thought behind it but once the glue is mixed and something goes wrong...well, you know.  I don't do this every day.

Also interested in any other solutions.

Thanks,
Joe
DN 637

DN US637
JOHN BUSHEY
Class Member

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 11:34:49 PM »

It works well!

I found those old files and put them in a pdf.   They are a little rough since aI had to compress them to fit within the posting size limit.

Having trouble posting the file.   

See all files in a dropbox folder at :

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cxg2j422h2rwjlj/0cUl5kgVgt
keukaflyer

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 10:33:54 AM »

Well, my crack isn't nearly that bad!!  It is hairline running about 2' down the port side about 1/2" above the deck in the cockpit.  It can be pushed/pulled apart sideways.

I guess I'm having some trouble picturing the instructions.  I see you had more work so it looks like you taped the whole thing up.  I'm thinking if I put the tape and plastic on the outside of the hull, then flip the hull up on its side so the tape and plastic are down towards the floor I can put glue on the seam in the cockpit and both gravity and suction will pull it through?

Thanks.
J

DN US637
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 11:45:43 AM »

Here are some photos of my last repair:
   http://www.iceboating.net/node/2770

keukaflyer

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 07:59:49 PM »

Thanks, Geoff.  That write-up is great.  Hopefully I will tackle it one of these nights - I am struggling with all of my "deferred" maintenance now that time is getting short.  I'll try to post up how I make out.

J

DN US637
keukaflyer

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 08:18:20 PM »

Just wanted to report back that the process worked amazing and it was easy!  To think I was going to drill a bunch of holes along the crack and inject epoxy - I must have been nuts!

Mine was a 18-20" hairline crack along the bottom where the side and cockpit floor meet.  I taped it up and put in the paper towel.  I was worried it wasn't working and I flexed and worked the crack and added thickened epoxy.  When I removed the tape there was plenty of bleed through from the entire length.  It cleaned up great with a paper towel and is as good as new!

Thanks for the help!!

DN US637
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: