Has the Technical Committee made a ruling?

<< < (2/2)

daan h633:
Can the chock be sailed without the carbon fiber "reinforcement" ?

Ken Smith:
I'd ask Jeff Kent... 

In theory, it should be fine, but why would you do that?    Light air and snow???  All the parts work together to achieve the design intent.

Ken

Aaron Stange:
I guess I'll ask the question before someone shows up on the ice with it.  Can this same stiffening element be used on the inside of the chock?  "The way I read the interpretation it can."  This essentially allows a sailor to add a stiffening flange to the chock on the inside and outside and by-pass I.5c the max. length (9") of a side chock.  Nothing stops this runner stiffener from being on both sides of the chock and up to 36" long x 3" wide.  Thinking about this more I assume any change to this stiffening flange during a regatta would also require a new runners sticker be applied, since its considered a part of the runner.

Sounds like this will surely be a topic of discussion this year at the annual meeting.

Paul Goodwin - US 46:
You can't use "the same stiffening element" on the inside of the chock since it would require modification to the inside flange and the chock would no longer meet all of the Specifications.  Adding a stiffening flange to the inside of the chock is allowed, but it can't be longer than 9".

However, there is no reason the runner stiffener(s) can't be 36" long and 3" wide, as long as all of the requirements in the Specifications and Interpretations are met.

You are correct about changing stiffeners during a regatta.  "However, when the stiffening element is changed, the runner is then counted as a new runner in total count of the nine runners allowed." [Interpretation E.Runners 7/1/92]

mcdowell:
I have just returned from Jeff's shop. Wait till you see the new bamboo stiffners for his chocks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page