DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 29, 2024, 01:03:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Has the Technical Committee made a ruling?  (Read 20474 times)
Mark Isabell - DN5014
ADMIN

« on: December 15, 2006, 08:43:13 PM »

(see picture below)
Huh

Not trying to stir the pot but, has there been a ruling from the DN Technical Committee on this design? If not, when can the class expect a ruling on this subject?

Respectfully,

Mark Isabell

« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 08:44:51 PM by Mark Isabell - DN5014 » Logged
DN 805
Class Member

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 07:27:02 AM »

The chock issue has been discussed thoroughly by the TC and the committee is voting the weekend of December 16-17, 2006.    Members will be advised shortly.
Paul Goodwin - US 46
ADMIN

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 09:21:11 AM »

This has been a technically challenging interpretation for the Technical Committee (TC).   After long discussion and review of the design, the TC voted and has come to the majority opinion:

The "Kent" style chock (with a narrow outer flange) and a runner stiffener with the pivot bolt passing through it meets the current Specifications. 

The reinforcing bar between the head of the pivot bolt and the runner body is considered a runner stiffener, and as such must meet all specifications for a runner stiffener.  Being a runner stiffener, it is not considered part of the runner plank hardware and is not included in the measurement of plank length (spec B.1).

The Technical Committee is working on the wording for the Official Interpretation.

Paul Goodwin
Chairman - IDNIYRA Technical Committee
email: webmaster@idniyra.org

edited 21 Dec 2006 by Paul Goodwin
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 12:32:32 PM by Paul Goodwin - US 46 » Logged

Paul Goodwin
DN US-46
Ken Smith
ADMIN

sail often, travel light

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 11:16:54 PM »

Jeff Kent, the innovator and sailor of the bamboo mast, developed these chocks.  The inside flange is stiff and full length.  The outside flange is very narrow, only an inch or less wide.  The runner bolt also clamps a carbon fiber "reinforcement" to the runner and bolt tension pulls the whole assembly together.

Advantage:  The reinforcement clamps the runner into the full length half of the flange.  TO align the runners, shim only the side against the inside of the flange.  More predictible and easier.  Also, your chocks will NEVER be bent... The runners are mostly supported at the fore and aft ends of the flange.  Aschocks get bent in use, most of the support is in the middle of teh runner.  Makes for a stiffer system overall.

Disadvantages:  TBD.  THe retention of the runner depends on the bolt.  It IS a strong bolt....

Ken Smith
DN4137US
Jim McDonagh [us5214]
Class Officer

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 02:17:21 PM »

Here's a link to another picture of the chock.

http://www.iceboating.net/node/102
daan h633

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 06:39:17 AM »

Can the chock be sailed without the carbon fiber "reinforcement" ?
Ken Smith
ADMIN

sail often, travel light

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 09:35:31 AM »

I'd ask Jeff Kent... 

In theory, it should be fine, but why would you do that?    Light air and snow???  All the parts work together to achieve the design intent.

Ken

Ken Smith
DN4137US
Aaron Stange
Class Member

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 12:55:23 PM »

I guess I'll ask the question before someone shows up on the ice with it.  Can this same stiffening element be used on the inside of the chock?  "The way I read the interpretation it can."  This essentially allows a sailor to add a stiffening flange to the chock on the inside and outside and by-pass I.5c the max. length (9") of a side chock.  Nothing stops this runner stiffener from being on both sides of the chock and up to 36" long x 3" wide.  Thinking about this more I assume any change to this stiffening flange during a regatta would also require a new runners sticker be applied, since its considered a part of the runner.

Sounds like this will surely be a topic of discussion this year at the annual meeting.
Paul Goodwin - US 46
ADMIN

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 07:37:07 AM »

You can't use "the same stiffening element" on the inside of the chock since it would require modification to the inside flange and the chock would no longer meet all of the Specifications.  Adding a stiffening flange to the inside of the chock is allowed, but it can't be longer than 9".

However, there is no reason the runner stiffener(s) can't be 36" long and 3" wide, as long as all of the requirements in the Specifications and Interpretations are met.

You are correct about changing stiffeners during a regatta.  "However, when the stiffening element is changed, the runner is then counted as a new runner in total count of the nine runners allowed." [Interpretation E.Runners 7/1/92]

Paul Goodwin
DN US-46
mcdowell

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 08:05:21 AM »

I have just returned from Jeff's shop. Wait till you see the new bamboo stiffners for his chocks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: