DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 20, 2024, 01:45:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anodized vs. Non-anodized Parts  (Read 14038 times)
DNewbie

« on: November 02, 2009, 10:48:33 AM »

OK, onward with the DN build and the next "vs." question. I'm getting ready to order all the metal parts and have looked at the offerings of several DN parts suppliers. There are some price differences among the suppliers and the only difference I can discern is that the least expensive supplier doesn't anodize the parts made out of aluminum. Does this matter? Is this mostly a question of aesthetics? I've got some experience building sailboat parts out of Al and can't say that I notice any problems with non-anodized parts. I realize that Al does oxidize but this doesn't seem to cause any problems. I seem to recall reading that anodized parts are stronger but am not sure about this. My personal philosophy is that saving a couple of bucks is always good but not at the expense of performance or durability. Any and all thoughts are welcome.
DN 805
Class Member

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 01:33:35 PM »

Over time the anodized parts will look better.  No strength advantage that I'm aware of.

No matter which, be sure to use a lubricant between the parts (like the steering post and the head). 

One of the challenges in iceboating is traveling to the ice via roads that have been salted.  The road salt really can make a mess of the boat.  The anodized aluminum protects the aluminum to some degree.  Also slushy salt ice can be a problem. 

After all that work, it is disappointing when the road salt corrodes the hardware.  I  had a red hull turn orange where the road salt hit it.  After that I invested in a hull bag to match my mast and plank bags. 

Happy to quote a price for you on bags of water proof, salt resistant pearl b vivatex (light green canvas).  I also offer Harken blocks to DN sailors at an attractive discount, likewise w/swadged rigging.

...DN 805
DN5135

Jeff

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 09:36:48 PM »

I wouldn't get too worried about anodizing, it creats a harder surface, but won't effect strength significantly, you have to solution heat treat for that. 

You can also paint. To paint, you need to wash with a etching solution, then prime with Zinc Chromate primer, then finish coat.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: