DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 20, 2024, 10:50:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DN Plans or Entry level boat  (Read 20516 times)
andersjj15

« on: December 30, 2009, 09:36:33 AM »

I am looking to get started with ice boats. I would like to build a DN and am looking for some plans.

I am also interested in an entry level boat (meaning cheap) for this season. I live in SE Michigan.

I would appreciate any information.

Thanks
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 09:58:07 AM »

The DN class association sells a set of plans for $15 (they should also be on-line sometime soon).
The order-form is at: http://idniyra.org/member.htm

For the ultimate, I recommend Paul Goodwin's full-size hull templates.
It's one of the best $50 you will spend building a new hull.
You can contact him at: webmaster@idniyra.org
(and hopefully he'll comment here, too)

Cheers,

Geoff S.
US-5156

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
Ken Smith
ADMIN

sail often, travel light

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 06:01:54 PM »

Cheap.  Low initial cost:  buy a used hull.

If you want to make one, use less expensive wood for side boards and deck plywood. 
       Instead of Sitka spruce, use eastern spruce, basswood, or poplar for the sides. 
       Poplar plywood (1/8) is adequate for the decks.  Or any hardwood 1/8 (3mm) ply would work fine.  Avoid luan plywood. 
       It is too weak.  Birch works fine, but is a bit heavy.

Make your hardware or buy used.

Use System 3 or Maas epoxy rather than Gougeon epoxy.  Don't use glue, it is too hard to get right.

Buy a used mast and sail to start.

Use either the class plans, the Goodwin plans or other "modern" plans if you ever want the boat to sell.  If the boat is fattest forward of the plank, find another set of plans to use.  A modern boat (1980's or later) has almost straight side boards to your hips and bends sharply to the stern.

The highest stresses are from the front of the cockpit to the bow.  Don't skimp on structure or little wood filler pieces in the joints.

Do make the open cockpit maximum dimensions.

It is a very doable project.  Have fun and post questions and progress reports!

Ken Smith
DN4137US
Jfleming

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 02:13:16 PM »

I have a nice boat for sale. Used but good shape. Purchased from a good friend who helped me a lot. Sailed 1 year, sat 1 year owing to too much day job. $1,600.00  Located in Northeast Indiana. jfleming@mitchell-fleming.com
Paul Goodwin - US 46
ADMIN

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 11:41:27 PM »

Geoff Sobering provided a nice lead-in to my sales pitch...

I still offer my full-size template for building the DN hull.  I actually sent out 4 copies in the last week, including one to
Germany.  These templates (full-size plans), along with the building instructions, will save many hours of work and help guarantee a boat that measures in against the current IDNIYRA Specifications.  You can get an idea of what they look like and some more information here: 
Paul Goodwin's DN Templates

I also released a set of full-size Ice-Opti templates (hull only) this year, which still seem to be a secret.  The design was taken directly off Ron Sherry's race-proven hull templates.  These plans are actually much more refined than the DN templates, and are aimed squarely at the father/son (or mother/daughter) first-time building experience.  Ok, so maybe it would be a good idea to throw together a birdhouse or something first, but you get the idea.  I made a complete 3-D model of the entire hull so I could generate lots of 3-D sketches for the building instructions to really make things clear.  There is even a description of how to make a full building jig.  Take at look at the info here to get a better idea of what you get:
Paul Goodwin's Ice-Opti Templates

Paul Goodwin
DN US-46
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: