DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 18, 2024, 02:45:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: boat suports  (Read 7115 times)
DN 5449
Class Member

« on: April 03, 2010, 11:56:29 AM »

O.K. probably a dumb question but those pieces of wood I see boats supported on when setting up and taking down,anybody have a picture or advice on what goes into making them (including Dimensions).
Ken Smith
ADMIN

sail often, travel light

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »

Horses.

Simple, I have some made from 4 inch by 10 inch of 1/4 inch plywood, held by duct tape forming a hinge at the top and a small line through 3/8 inch holes, with figure 8 knots to keep it in an A configuration.  I made them in 15 minutes in a hurry, packing for a regatta, seven or eight years ago.  Still work.  I carry one out to the race course as it is small and fits in the boat or runner bag.

Basically, all are in similar configuration.  Some are longer, wider, or taller or all, some have real hinges, some have carpet on the top edge.  Some have nails or screws so they don't slide around when set up.  Some have 4 inch holes so they can be more easily carried around.  Some have a slot cut for the bobstay for use on the bow.  Some are pretty.  Mine aren't. 

I'd suggest 5 by 12 of 3/8 ply, maybe real real hinges, holes big enough for your arm, to carry them around, and some padding on top, and two finishing nails protruding at the ice contact about 3/32.  Finish or paint (or not) to your heart's content.  Duct tape hinges and carped glued on top last for years... and are cheap.

They hold the plank and hull high enough to put runners on.  Overnight, they keep the boat from sinking into the ice or ice freezing to the chocks.  Pure function.

....___
.../.....\
../____\  Front view

.../\
../..\ side view

Ken Smith
DN4137US
DN 5449
Class Member

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »

thanks Ken
Pages: [1]