DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

March 29, 2024, 03:22:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Full-size Ice-Opti hull templates for sale  (Read 18373 times)
Paul Goodwin - US 46
ADMIN

« on: January 05, 2010, 04:53:32 PM »

I have full size templates available for building the Ice-Opti hull. 

These templates will save hours of time by eliminating lofting (scaling up from small plans), and also eliminating most measurement.

There is a side panel template, with all internal structure shown. Once you cut out the side panels, you transfer all the internal locations to the inside of the panels.  There is also a plan (top) view template that you build the hull on. You place the plan view template on a building jig (flat workbench), cover it with clear plastic, then place the side panels into position. All the lines on the inside of the side panels line up with corresponding lines on the plan view template. Looking inside the hull, you see essentially a 3-D wireframe of the internal structure. Then it's simply a matter of cutting out the internal structural parts, and gluing them into position on the lines.

This method greatly simplifies the building procedure, and will save hours of time. I also include a set of step-by-step building instructions with graphics to help the first time builder. For those familiar with my DN plans, the Ice-Opti instructions are much more detailed, including lots of 3D exploded views of the critical areas.

This is a very competitive design based on Ron Sherry's successful Ice-Opti hulls.

You can get more information and see a thumbnail of what they look like with the following link:
Paul Goodwin's Full Size Ice-Opti Templates

If you would like to get a set of templates and building instructions, send a check or money order for US $50 (plus $10 shipping within the US, $20 shipping to Canada and Europe) to :

Paul Goodwin
39480 Lakeshore Dr
Harrison Twp, MI
USA

Note: I hold checks till they clear the bank. I except PayPal so you can use your credit card, my PayPal ID is "pegoodwin@yahoo.com"

email: pgoodwin-dn@cefirmbach.com

-- p.s If you can get to the Detroit area, arrange to pick them up and save the shipping

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 03:59:46 PM by Paul Goodwin - US 46 » Logged

Paul Goodwin
DN US-46
Ken Smith
ADMIN

sail often, travel light

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 05:02:23 PM »

Paul's plans build a nice boat...

One change I implemented in mine, when my girls were sailing, was to increase the side board height and seat back height.  They lliked that to resist falling out of the boat.

Remember, the Ice Opti rules are much simpler than the DN rules, so weight, materials and geometry are all very flexible.  plank width and distance between the steering runner and plank are important, the rest just work fine, but are not mandatory.

Building together is a fun way to start.

Ken Smith
DN4137US
Daniel Hearn
Class Member

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 05:40:50 PM »

If you're going to build one or more Ice Optis, this is the best 50 bucks you could spend! The templates are truly outstanding.  Paul developed these plans at the request of the class purely to support the development of Junior ice sailing.  I can assure you that the small fee required won't even come close to offsetting value of the time Paul has put into this.  Next time you see Paul, please thank him for his considerable investment in the future of our sport.

Daniel Hearn
Secretary, (IDNIYRA) North American Ice Opti Racing Association
US 5352
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: