What I did that is different...Steering rod

(1/1)

Ken Smith:
Reinforced steering rod. 

If you ever buckled one in a spin out, or in soft conditions, you know that the rod is a little flimsy.  I found that the steering rods bend too easily.

So I am now sailing with carbon-reinforced aluminum rods.

I cut a piece of 3" Uni-directional carbon to match the fat portion of the tube length.  Using some super-glue and developer (instant set), I spot -glued one corner to the rod.  I streched the fiber to the other end and spot-glued that end, too.  I used a drop of super glue about every three inches to hold the edge straight.  Then I painted and wetted the carbon with WEST epoxy.  I wrapped tthe carbon carefully and tightly around the tube.

I used electrical tape to hold the loose fibers at the end tight.  Then I wrapped electrical tape over the entire length.  This was to squeeze out excess epoxy, hold the last edge tight, and hold everything stable until the epoxy set. 

It worked great!.  Peope think I am using a carbon golf shaft for a steering rod.  The rod is significantly stiffer, and will NOT buckle if steering hard in soft slush or deep snow.  At least so far...

:D  I am  happy camper, with this small innovation!

Ken

NICK VITALE:

Ken,

That sounds like a great idea 8). Do you have any pictures to share with us?

Nick

Geoff Sobering:
Ken,

Thanks for the tip about using super-glue to hold the fabric in place during the wet-out and wrapping.  I can envision a number of other places where that technique might be helpful (ex. wrapping glass around the square tube at the front of a tiller).

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Ken Smith:
Nick:  It looks like a black stick.  Not very photogenic.  I did not take in-process pictures.

Sorry

Navigation

[0] Message Index