DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 28, 2024, 03:46:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: main sheet length  (Read 28303 times)
DN 5449
Class Member

« on: December 17, 2010, 07:08:52 PM »

What is length of main sheet needed if you are going to braid it?
Bob Gray
Class Member

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 08:04:22 PM »

About 70-75ft. of around 3/16" line. That will give you a nice long sheet. If you want to run it  shorter you can always stop when you get it where you want it.
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 08:18:16 PM »

Ron Sherry says 61 feet.
I forget what length I used, but it's around there.
You should leave 108" inches of line un-braided (actually, "un-chained-stitched").
That should put the end of the braid just behind the forward boom-block.
Making it symmetrical means you can reverse the sheet, and it also reduces the volume of sheet in the cockpit. My first sheet was longer and there was too much excess braided length that just got in the way.

If I remember correctly, the stitching uses about 5:1 (i.e. 5" of line makes 1" of stitched). With that, a 61' line would make sheet with about 8 1/2 feet of thick and two tails of 108" for a total finished length of about 26 feet.

Just in case you have any trouble with the knots, I have a couple of photos on how to tie them at:
http://geoff-s.net/ice/BraidedDnMainsheet/index.html

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
DN 5449
Class Member

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 08:54:17 PM »

Thanks Guys Smiley
DN 5449
Class Member

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 06:00:14 AM »

What is a good 3/16" line to use,any recomendations?
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 07:57:17 AM »

Almost anything will do. I've always used basic Sta-Set double braid.

I'll probably use one of the soft blended single-braids, like Maffioli Swiftcord, for my next one.

DN 5449
Class Member

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 07:34:07 AM »

Does any one else sail with the 3/16" part of the sheet engaged into the ratchet block on the deck.I seem to like having the thin part of the line engaged as opposed to the braided part.I find it allows for small changes in sheet tension to be made earier.
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 08:50:14 AM »

Does any one else sail with the 3/16" part of the sheet engaged into the ratchet block...?

I'm surprised you get enough "grab" between the block and skinny 3/16" sheet.
Ar you using the 75mm Carbo ratchet?

The furthest I've ever had the 3.16" part of my sheet come forward was so that it just pulled through the forward boom block. Most people seem to like to keep the chain-stitched part inside the boom so there's less chance of the transition catching as it goes into the boom.

There is a distinct "quantum" of sheeting you can do with the knots and the Hexaratchet® sheave; it feels like the knots engage in the facets of the sheave so you end up easing about 1" before they engage again. I've never wanted a smaller increment of sheet ease, so it hasn't been a problem for me.

DN 5449
Class Member

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 09:00:01 AM »

Yes I have the Carbo 75 mm ratchet.I always like sailing with a small a diameter line as possible,I find it gives me better feel of wind strength.Must admit my hands are pretty sore from holding it but they are getting in sailing shape.
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 09:43:45 AM »

I sail with the chain part of my 3/16 sheet in the front blocks at full-on two-block tension.  The 3/16 thin part is in the boom and runs through the rear blocks during racing.  I still find that even then there are times where the sheet or ratchet just isnt quite enough to keep it from slowly creeping out of my hands at times.   Angry  It seems that as the line wears slightly, the grip gets better though...
DN 5449
Class Member

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »

I will give your way a try,I still think in lighter airs having the 3/16 " in those lower blocks would give a better feel and allow for finer adjustments.I find the chained part of my mainsheet a little chunky in the blocks.
us5450

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 09:54:33 AM »

Just an FYI APS has a rigging sale in the month of January.
15%off of all line.
Some nice mainsheet choices are

Yale Conception-Very soft singlebraid and easy on the hands (this line runs a bit fat)
http://www.apsltd.com/c-1602-Conception-Yale.aspx

Maffioli Swiftcord-Soft singlebraid runs true to size and might be a bit more durable than the conception
http://www.apsltd.com/c-1603-Swiftcord-Maffioli.aspx

FSE Dinghy Sheet-A more tightly woven singlebraid than the previous two lines so may run more smoothly
http://www.apsltd.com/c-7270-racing-sheet-fse-robline.aspx

FSE Dinghy Control-This is a double braid and will be the stiffest and least stretch of the lines. It will be the most durable and run the best, however it will also be the toughest on the hands.
http://www.apsltd.com/c-7275-dinghy-control-fse-robline.aspx

The above lines all incorporate dyneema and will therefore be low stretch.

As another more economical line that will work well is

Finish Line-This line has a knobby texture so will be easy to grip, however due to its all polyester construction will have some stretch
http://www.apsltd.com/c-1502-finish-line-new-england.aspx

Hope this will help, please feel free to call or email with any questions
aaronf@apsltd.com
800-729-9767
Paul Goodwin - US 46
ADMIN

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 07:57:08 PM »

I don't think we really don't have to worry about mainsheet stretch on the DN, loads are too low and the mainsheet is very short.  When two-blocked we have less than 20' of mainsheet under tension.  If someone thinks low-stretch will help the DN go faster, be sure to let Ron and Matt know...

As for letting the braid come through through the ratchet block, that's insane.  For a hair-raising story about stuck mainsheets, talk to Jim Grogan some time about how he broke his arm when his braided mainsheet jammed. 

I always check a new mainsheet to make sure the end of the braid (or taper junction on tapered sheets) stays inside the boom.  This gives you about 8 ft. of mainsheet travel before the joint gets to the blocks in the back, which gives a reasonable chance of controlling the boat in heavy air if the mainsheet jams.

p.s.  I like "fuzzy braid" lines for added grip, Ron goes with the smooth cover.

Paul
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:16:00 PM by Paul Goodwin - US 46 » Logged

Paul Goodwin
DN US-46
RANDY ROGOSKI
Class Member

Racing neck and neck with George Reis, March '07

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 04:27:49 AM »

I crashed a friend's Nite the day after Christmas.

It's braided main sheet jammed in the ratchet block. Big lifting puff, couldn't ease the sail; last thing I remember was my shadow on the sail and the mast's tip hitting the ice.

I was knocked unconscious five minutes and suffered a rotator cuff injury when I landed on my head and shoulder.

Could have been disabled or dead. Even five minutes of lost consciousness is considered a "moderate traumatic brain injury."

Always make sure the sheet runs swiftly through all the blocks and wear a helmet.

Randy Rogoski
DN US4192
Bob Gray
Class Member

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 11:42:00 AM »

Two years ago I flipped my DN when I caught a big gust and the start of the braid in my sheet line jammed in  my tiller block. I was bruised and had some moderate damage to the hull. I still use a braided sheet but set it up differently. I have the unbraided portion running thru all the boom blocks and the tiller block. When I'm block to block the braided portion of the line starts about 18" behind the tiller block. This allows me to easily release enough sheet in a puff to keep me out of trouble. In addition, once the sheet is running out it is a lot less likely to hang up in the tiller ratchet block.
    My boat is now set up with two ratchet blocks. I sail in all but very gusty winds with both locked and have had no problems with jams now that I have a longer run in to the tiller block. I really like unbraided sheet lines but my old hands need the extra grip the braid gives me.
                                                                      Bob
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: