DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

March 29, 2024, 12:13:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Building runners  (Read 8742 times)
bmintz

« on: March 05, 2012, 09:32:59 PM »

I have just been given a pair of steel cutting blades for a "guillotine" type paper cutter.  I really don't know what kind of steel they are, but I do know that they are really flat, really sharp, and last a long time under hard use before they need to be re-sharpened. I would need to change the profile, but I have a long bed vertical belt sander at my disposal.   They are 35" long and about 3" tall and 3/16" thick.  Is this a good starting place for a pair of insert runners?  I am pretty sure they are not stainless, but I don't mind oiling them after sailing.

eric_anderson

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 09:42:04 PM »

Good Cutter blades would make a fine starting point for iceboat runners. Most are not stainless but are Be carefull untill you regrind the blades to 90.  It is easy to cut the snot out of yourself with the blades when they are sharp.  I am suprised they are 3/16" thick.  Most are thicker.  One word of caution depending on the type of blade the steel may not be the same aloy throughout, height wise OR thickness wise, so one side of the runner may be harder then the other.   

Cheers,
Eric
bmintz

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 08:53:03 AM »

oops, my mistake, they are about 3/8" thick.  I am told they are HSS for about 1/2 the height of the blade, and are hardened.  I think they will rust quickly, but I can avoid that with some attention.  Any hints about re-grinding them?
Bob Gray
Class Member

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 09:57:17 AM »

The max thickness for runner steel is .270". I'm afraid the steel you have would impractical.  Bob
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 12:21:18 PM »

You might be able to find a machine shop that could Blanchard grind them to 0.270" (or even down to 3/16"). That process shouldn't affect the hardening.
I don't know what the cost would be...

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: