DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 20, 2024, 02:14:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Choice of Race site  (Read 5332 times)
Baby

« on: January 24, 2013, 03:46:31 PM »

To the governing committee.
I was surprised and disappointed to learn of the committee's decision to choose Lake Pepin as the site for the Worlds. Undoubtedly, the picture everyone saw showing black ice of Lake Pepin  was certainly enticing and had there been no other suitable ice nearer the host region, Pepin would have been the logical choice.
However I was appalled to learn that although it was clearly mentioned during Wednesday night's governing committee telcon  that Trenton Ontario had suitable ice that had been sailed and checked, the possibility of Trenton as a site was not even questioned or discussed during the whole telephone conversation.
May I remind you that the bylaws concerning the site choice are clear: "should the host region not have suitable ice, the regatta will be moved to the nearest site where suitable ice is available."( Page 88,  2011 yearbook) In this case, Trenton was clearly the nearest site. Trenton has also hosted international dn regattas before.
May I also remind you that the last opportunity the Eastern region has had to host a major regatta was in 2003 in Plattsburgh New York 10 years ago.  As the class membership in North America is hurting in general and more so in the East, this would have been a great opportunity to rekindle interest in the East. Instead, many of us will not travel the minimum of 22 hours it takes to get to Lake Pepin.
Members here in the East have spent a considerable amount of time, money and effort searching for ice, checking it out, getting approvals  etc. ,   the objective being that a site, wherever it ends up,  will be selected under due process that abides by the rules. Many of us are under the impression this did not occur.
Nevertheless, I wish everyone a safe and enjoyable regatta.
Respectfully submitted,

André K. Baby
KC 4360 
Ex-World and North-American Commodore
jackgoritski

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 07:56:50 AM »

Well said. Totally agree!!

DN 5478 US
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: