DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 19, 2024, 02:06:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: chock stiffiner  (Read 8544 times)
us5285

« on: April 04, 2007, 02:33:50 PM »

I see that the "Kent" style chock stiffiner has been approved by the tech. comm.,which is fine by me since my latest attempt to improve my chocks by milling out .20 out of the center of the outside flange of a set of Struble chocks did not work, as a matter of fact was worse than stock at providing a stiff pivoting attachment for the runner.Does the tech. comm. have any idea when they will decide how the stiffiner must be attached to the runner? Spec. E1-f seems pretty open to interpertation.Iam going to try iceboating all year round this year and I dont want to spend alot of time building something that may not be legal. How are the Kent chock stiffiners attathed to the runner? In the absence of a tech. comm. ruling can I assume his method of attachment is legal since his stiffiner has already been approved?
glovejoy
Class Member

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 03:54:25 PM »

how are you planning on iceboating year round this year?  US4638
Kentski
Class Member

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 04:59:13 PM »

In reply to question on the official ruling form the TC regarding the attachment   there is none that I am aware of    being on the  TC

bottom line is the stiffener has to move with the blade  at all times when mounted and in the process of dismounting and mounting blade to chock    that is my opinion which I think is reasonable to assume      I do..   

It is funny, to observe all of the resisitance  of this concept recieved within and outside  the TC      the concept is VERY polarized     whether it is because of me personally  , or they just don't want any new ideas. I hope it  is the prior for the sake of the class . I dont think some of the membership should be so  closed minded about a different design which is clerarly different , fits the specs as written , and  simple to say ,the least troublesome and most effective manner to accomplish what the intended purpose of the chock was to do in the first place.   also to mention provides effortlessly mounting runner bodies of different thickness.

I find most of the europeans embrace the idea completely while  the majority of the resistancel lives here in the states 

It will not supprise me at all if there is a movment by someone or a group to attempt to totaly outlaw this with a spec change . To which they have that  right to do so .

If one was to follow that line of thought to be consisitent with spec changes and interpetations of the past  we should all be sailing with splintered all wood masts as originaly designed

In the case of the change to alloy mast ,then to "composite'   there was a change in performance that could never be reailzed by a all wood mast  for other than a race or two......   and obviously durabilty for some of the new ones even today

my point is:
this design really adds no increase in performance , contrary It only reduces the chance of lower performance  do to improper alignment     there is a difference between the the two statements    It is assumed that one lines up on the starting line with the most true alignment  and the stiffest and straitest runners  that can be accomplished..........which would be one design in spirit

At any rate these are just just my opinions  and not the TC's     so as the summer nears and the ice is all but gone  keep an eye on your mail box    I m sure they wont let me down....

have a great summer      At least the winter at the WC/NA was awsome enough to relive all summer long

jk
us5285

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 07:05:55 PM »

I hope I did not come off as being against your chock design, quite the oppisite I think it is an excellent solution, simple and home buildable. I just want to make sure I dont break any rules. I was not sure how or if the stiffiner was attached to the runner. Regaurding the wood/aluim./composite mast thing I have only been racing DNs since the 2000/2001 season so composite masts are all I know.I do know that with 125 boats and days of great sailing at the worlds/NAs this year something must be pretty right with the class. Studying the inovative things people come up with, and trying some of my own is a big part of why I love the sport. The glass is half full.   Thanks  Chris Teal US 5285
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: