DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

March 28, 2024, 08:12:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: How long is your standard insert steering runner?
36 inches - 3 (30%)
30 inches - 5 (50%)
Less than 30 inches - 2 (20%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Length of insert steering runner  (Read 10740 times)
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« on: January 22, 2008, 02:25:45 PM »

I have a single insert-runner body with glass/epoxy sides that I made a couple of years ago.  It's not really suitable for a side runner, but I realized would be nearly perfect for a steering runner.  I haven't procured the steel to put into it, and I'm curious if I should make it full-length or shorter.

Cheers,

Geoff S.
US-5156

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
Ken Smith
ADMIN

sail often, travel light

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 05:56:21 PM »

Full length or shorter are the best options.  Is that not a literal answer to your question?

Sorry, I play with words for a living.  This is the only choice, of course. 

I have used a variety of runners, most of them 30 inches or shorter.  It seems to me that more crown is appropriate than for side runners.  Very flat runners seem to skid more when attempting to turn.  I have never gone out of control, but the noise is a bit disquieting.  However, many of my runners have a hole in them so I can add a brake and make them steering runners.  On most days, a steering runner will last all day.  But in a race, when there is a limit on runners available, if I wipe out a steering runner, I want to be able to use something I brought onto the ice.

THe steering runner is only lightly in contact with the ice.  Have a friend sit in sailing position in a boat and lift the bow.  Maybe 25 pounds.  Sail thrust will add to runner load, but aways much less than sides.  So to my way of thinking, that means the runner is a much smaller factor on speed than the side runners, and therefore much less critical.

Since I make runners interchangeable, I would be inclined to leave a free spare fll length, but add a hole in case a brake is needed for that runner when it is in front.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 08:57:52 PM by Ken Smith » Logged

Ken Smith
DN4137US
DNUS1006

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 06:14:15 AM »

This is not a good poll for front runners. I use a different front runner length and style for different conditions. I don't consider any one runner my standard front runner.

Nick Vitale
  DN US 1006
Bob Gray
Class Member

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 08:31:05 AM »

The last I heard Ron Sherry is using a 30" insert.
Paul Goodwin - US 46
ADMIN

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 11:34:03 AM »

If you are going to build an insert steering runner, 30" length seems to be the choice of the top sailors.

Paul Goodwin
DN US-46
T Thieler US 5224

Of course I respect you...

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 12:24:24 PM »

I use a 36" insert with lots of crown.  I chose this length mainly because I forgot to tell Steve Duhamel to shorten it before he put it in the body for me!  By the time I remembered it was too late...  Seems to work well though and I've seen enough fast sailors using full-length steering runners (on big courses at least) that I'm OK with it.

On smaller courses or lighter air I use a minimum length snow plate, it makes less noise when zig-zagging a lot so I figure it's less drag. 

Truthfully I don't think it's that big of a difference- as stated earlier, the steering runner is fairly lightly loaded so is probably more forgiving.  That said, make sure the edge is straight and stone it up well!

Ice is nice, heat is beat...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: