DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 28, 2024, 05:19:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Plank Stiffening  (Read 33809 times)
tasar

« on: October 12, 2009, 10:27:49 PM »

Guys......best method to stiffen a soft plank......I've got 2 1/8th" inch drop when loaded center ??
Ken Smith
ADMIN

sail often, travel light

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 11:37:08 PM »

I had good luck using unidirectional glass roving from Wicks Aircraft.

http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/product_cat.php/subid=8477/index.html

This 3 inch wide product, two lengths, were applied to the bottom surface of the plank. 

I know that the glass is more effective in tension then compression, and the bottom surface of the plank is in tension.  The analysis of a wood-glass composite shows that glass on the bottom lowers the centroid of the plank, making the compression surface (top) in a lower stress state for the same weight on the plank.  That plank was discussed in an earlier string, use the search in the upper right for a look, if it is still there.

Wet the bottom of the plank, and lay on the roving starting at one edge.  The two layers may overlap slightly along the centerline of the plank.  I used peel-ply over the roving which helps get the excess off.  Once set, just peel off the peel ply (if used)

Ken Smith
DN4137US
Bob Gray
Class Member

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 12:10:14 PM »

Another source of unidirectional glass is www.fiberglasssupply.com.  They have some 13 oz. 16.5 inch wide for about $2.50 a yard. Check under "knitted fabrics".  I got some recently and it's pretty nice stuff.  BOB
tasar

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 05:54:17 PM »

it so happens I have plenty of a 3" woven bi or triaxial glass......would this prove to be too stiff ?
Ken Smith
ADMIN

sail often, travel light

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 10:58:34 PM »

All the fibers not running the long direction on the plank are not doing any good for stiffness, just adding weight.

The glass added will make the plank thicker, which is stiffer.  The fibers running the right direction will add more stiffnessThe bi and tri directional glass can help, just not as efficiently as unidirectional materials.

Ken

Ken Smith
DN4137US
tasar

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 01:37:42 PM »

thanks fellas.....that uni glass stuff looks like a blanket.....will epoxy ooze thru or will you have to wet-out first and then again over the top of the glass ?
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 04:30:06 PM »

thanks fellas.....that uni glass stuff looks like a blanket.....will epoxy ooze thru or will you have to wet-out first and then again over the top of the glass ?

Most uni wets out pretty well.  I've had good luck painting on a thick coat of epoxy, then laying the glass onto it, and working the resin through the glass with a brush and roller (usually adding some additional epoxy as/where needed).  It's really the same process you would go through to wet it out beforehand, you're just using the plank as a work-surface.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
tasar

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 10:46:10 PM »

thanks Geoff......will give it a try.....hey it's bottom side, who'll see it ! ?
John Davenport
Class Member

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 08:35:55 AM »

Tasar,
If you are going to continue the "Joy of Building" like most of us, you should learn how to use vacuum bagging for your lay-ups.  There are many sources available to understand the process, but my favorite is explained by the Gougeon Brothers either in their book, “The Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction” or in their brochures found in marine hardware stores that sell West System resins.  The benefits are high fiber to resin ratios, (removes excess resin), flat finish surface, fewer bubbles/voids and it removes the “blush” from the surface.  Blush is the waxy film on the surface after the epoxy has cured.  Blush retards curing of urethane, varnish & paint.  Start here.  http://www.gougeon.com/

Enjoy,

John Davenport US-4961
tasar

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 10:00:25 PM »

thanks John.....hey, you still have an A class cat ?

Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 10:41:45 PM »

Short of full-on vacuum bagging, I would suggest getting some "peel-ply" fabric.  You place it over the layup and squeegee the excess resin through it, then peel it off after the resin has cured.  This gives a better resin/glass ratio than a simple wet-layup, creates a surface ready for further bonding or finishing (without sanding), and removes the amine-blush. 

tasar

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 07:41:03 AM »

what's a cheap reliable source for peel ply ?
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 07:08:55 PM »

what's a cheap reliable source for peel ply ?

Fiberglast.com sells polyester fabric at ~$12/yd: http://www.fibreglast.com/showproducts-category-Vacuum+Bagging+Supplies-106.html
US-Composites sells it for $5.50/yd  Shocked  http://uscomposites.com/vacuum.html

I know folks who have had good luck just buying medium weight polyester fabric at the fabric-store.  I haven't gone that route yet (but I'm thinking about it for my next layup).  The bottom of a plank would be a good place to try it; worst case (if the fabric wouldn't peel off) you would just have to sand it off.

John Davenport
Class Member

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 10:10:26 AM »

What Geoff has said does work to a certain degree, but it's the pressure that really makes it work.  I have used polyester from a fabric store and it works just fine.  Just use white if you can.  I got a great deal on some camo colored fabric one time and the color printed through to the lay-up.  I wasn't making a duck boat, so I had to sand more than I wanted...

John
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 01:03:46 PM »

... but it's the pressure that really makes it work. ...

John: for a simple layup like this, do you think a shop-vac would provide enough suction?

It would be noisy...  Undecided

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: