DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 30, 2024, 02:02:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: plank core material  (Read 7426 times)
Rick Lemberg
Class Member

« on: October 20, 2009, 08:25:55 AM »

Has anyone used poplar for core material in plank construction,I've read that you can use about any junk wood , were going to build arrow and gambit planks.    Rick DN4155
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 11:32:35 AM »

I haven't used Poplar for planks, but I have used it in other components.  I would think it would work very well as a plank core.

One warning: the density of Poplar seems to vary quite a bit from board to board, so I would be careful to select light boards.

Cheers,

Geoff S.  US-5156

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
Daniel Hearn
Class Member

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 11:34:37 AM »

Hi Rick:

The two DN planks I've built and the four Ice Opti planks I've built all have Ash outsides and Poplar cores.  Seem to work fine to me. 

Daniel
US5352
Bob Gray
Class Member

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 01:04:22 PM »

Rick, I've built at least 6 planks with a basswood cores and they've held up just fine and basswood and poplar are pretty similar. The spring rate reduction after several years use is pretty similar to what I've checked with redwood cored planks.
                                                                                         Bob
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: