DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 29, 2024, 06:46:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tiller Dimensions?  (Read 10562 times)
DNewbie

« on: December 18, 2009, 09:56:27 AM »

Can anyone make a suggestion for tiller dimensions? I'm going make a simple wooden one that slides inside the tiller housing, like the one depicted in the yearbook plans. The plans however, are somewhat vague,with only a stipulation that the width can't be larger than 8". What I'm looking for is a suggested overall length of the tiller, length of the "split" that creates the width and a recommendation for overall width. If you can recommend a specific width, can you say why? Any and all thoughts are appreciated.
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 11:25:43 AM »

For sailing (tiller pushed forward all the way) I prefer the tiller handle to be in may hand with just a slight bend at my elbow (i.e. my arm is almost straight laying along my torso).  That sets length of the tiller itself.

Rounding marks may require pulling the tiller back a bit to allow for more turning, and for starting, most people like to have the tiller even longer so they can push from a more upright position.  How far you can pull the tiller out is dependent on the length of the aluminum housing attached to the tiller post.  There are various devices out there that allow the tiller to "lock" at the longer length and then release as you climb into the boat at the start (although some people find that just applying a fit of twist to the handle generates enough friction for the start).

If you're making a split-style tiller, I'd make the square end that slides into the aluminum tiller housing a few inches longer than the housing so you can trim the length to your particular sailing style.

Handle width is varies quite a bit.  I don't have my tiller to check, but I like a handle with an opening wide enough so I can grab it with my hand (with sailing mitten on).

Don't forget to make some kind of stop so you can't pull the tiller out of the aluminum tube while you're sailing (I don't have one - I've never pulled my tiller out, but I worry about it...).

Cheers,

Geoff S.

P.S. I have some instructions on making a simple tiller at: http://geoff-s.net/ice/FoamCoreTiller/index.html

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
DNewbie

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 02:29:46 PM »

Geoff,
Now you've gone and done it! I was asking for simple advice and construction and now my head is full of new ambitions and plans. Probably going to delay my planned launch by at least a week. Thanks a lot!

In all seriousness, a great and thorough article.
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 03:02:25 PM »

The split-tiller design is a quick one to build.
You can always make another one later!  Grin
(I think I have 3 or 4 tillers lying around...)

Cheers,

Geoff S. - US-5156

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
cmgordon

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 02:34:08 PM »

Geoff,

I have this problem with my slide out tiller.

When sailing at those speeds that make DN's exciting, the boat starts to get "twitchy". While trying to correct, the wood part would bend back and forth. I bought the tiller made. It has a 1" square AL tube with a ash tiller. The wood part is the inside diameter of the AL tube. Would you suggest a larger AL tube or what. It is a square tube, 1" od.

Just pondering.

The wood part is quite t ight because I once left the boat covered in my garage and the wood swelled up and wouldn't pull out. I had to field hose it with my pocket knife to free it up.

CMG
Paul Goodwin - US 46
ADMIN

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 03:39:15 PM »

Making the tiller fit inside the 1" aluminum tube leads to a relatively flexible tiller, and the "twitchy" feel that CMG refers to.  This problem was fixed by Jan Gougeon when he designed a tiller that fits outside the aluminum tube instead of inside.

This design method is shown on the current IDNIYRA plans.

Paul Goodwin
DN US-46
cmgordon

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 01:04:47 PM »

Paul,

Is there a link to the plans? I can't find the plans on the web site.

I have the current (2005?) DN plans along with the plans from you that I built my DN from. But they are in Massachusetts and I am in Florida until next year.

Chris Gordon

chrisgordon43@yahoo.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: