DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 20, 2024, 04:25:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hold your head up ...  (Read 18682 times)
Ayes

« on: February 12, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »

No, not the old rock and roll tune.

I have seen a number of racers that have a bungee cord strung from ear to ear on their helmets and some type of harness around their legs or waist.  Once they get going they hook the bungee to the harness and it helps the skipper keep his/her head up.  I am looking for some guidance to making a similar system and would appreciate any help.  I am particularly interested in:

1.) Attachment points on the helmet for best results.
2.) Length and diameter of Bungee cord recommended.
3.) The design of the harness.
4.) The attachment between the bungee and the harness.
5.) How to make the system adjustable.

I have some ideas, but why reinvent the wheel.  A picture is probably worth at least the proverbial 10,000 words.

Thanks in advance.

Ayes

If you don't do it this year you will be another year older when you do.

Warren Miller
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 12:27:47 PM »

I've had a bungie system for almost ten years now and I love it.

Most of my development/refinement has centered around allowing me to look around with the least possible interference from the support.  With my current setup I don't think the system restricts my ability to turn or bend my head significantly.  I can look up and over my shoulder and turn my head to either side as far as I can without the rig attached.

The key points I've noticed in evolving my rig are:
  • Use the longest bungie you can arrange.  Mine runs from the helmet all the way down to my waist harness with a hook set as low as possible.  This gives you the most stretch possible for looking around. You don't want the bungie really strongly holding your head up; mine is set to just take the weight of the helmet.  Early in the season I'll shorten the system, and as the season progresses (and my neck gets stronger) I loosen it up (slightly - less than an inch of change).
  • Use a loop (instead of a single length).  Attach the bungie loop to the harness with block.  This allows you to turn your head without stretching the bungie.
  • My bungie attaches to the helmet just in front of my ears and just above my jaw.  I'm not sure this is optimal, but it seems to be just above my neck's pivot point (so the bungie helps hold my neck up), but not so much that I can't lean back and look to the sides.
  • You definitely want some system that allows you to attach/snug-up the bungie without much effort (I always seem to be fumbling just before the start).  Mine is a simple hook that I attach the block to; I've seen better systems where a simple tug on a line sets the system for sailing.
  • My harness is a simple double-loop bowline (a standard quick climbing harness) made of 1/4" line with a snap-hook tied right at the knot.  There's not much force on it, so I've never had a problem with chafing.  I like it because the hook is kept very low down (well below my waist).  For some years I've been meaning to make a better harness, but it's not a high priority.

I'll try and post a photo of my system.

Cheers,

Geoff S.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 04:50:23 PM by Geoff Sobering » Logged

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
Bob Rast DN1313

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 04:53:37 PM »

Earlier I use to use a strap around 1 leg and bungee single to front chin gaurd. This helped with neck fatigue but limited ability to look around from side to side.  I use to get neck pain from this rig. This year I set the bungee from side to side using  ear holes in helmet to a harness . At the start of a race I simply hook on  and take off. Great improvement as the looped bungee allows turning and looking behind for tacks and jibes.
I just removed the hook from the harnness and sewed it to the croch of my 1 piece suit which eliminates the harness . Several Of our team use a bungee wrapped around 1 leg and attached to the helmet.

Good luck
DN1313

MICHAEL
Class Member

2007 Western Regions Gull Lke

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 07:39:37 PM »

I use a very simple system. I attach a thick bungy about 18 inches long with a plastic covered metal hook at each end. I slipped the hooks in the ear holes and with a pliers crimped it a little bit so it still pivots and won't touch the ear. I wear a web belt actually a freebie from North sails. I have an old windsurf light weight aluminum bar that slips on the belt. The belt and bar is adjustable in length based on clotes worn that day. It is worn around my stomach, just below the rib cage. After the start, when the neck starts to get tired, usually half way up the beat, one hand just pulls the bungy down to the bar and instant relief. I can turn head side to side and it's not so far down that it gets in the way of the tiller or sheeting.
I generally do not use it in a drifter when getting in/out of boat is needed.

Mike DN5369
Ayes

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 09:18:03 AM »

Thanks for all of the information and various approaches to this conraption.

I would like to pass along one other piece of information that I got in a PM. The point was made that a device like this could do more harm than good because it makes it harder on your neck and  muscles to look around. In effect putting more stress on your neck than it is relieveing. The alternate solution offered was to excersize/practice holding your head up with your helmet on.

So, suprise, suprise there is more than one school of thought when it comes to solving a problem on a DN, who would have ever thunk that?

I'm afraid tht this project will probably be put on a similar list with a similar priority as Geoff's intent to "make a better harness", but I was curious enough about their use to at least ask the question.  and seein's how I have way more questions than answers, I will probably be back to ask a few more.

Thanks again for your input and please don't let this post be the end of the discussion.  If you have another idea or opinion please chime in.

Ayes

If you don't do it this year you will be another year older when you do.

Warren Miller
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 10:25:35 AM »

I have been doing "neck-ups" as part of my workout regimen for about 3 years.  I know it probably gets strange looks at the gym, but it has been quite effective.  My goal has been to Not be tired or worn out (at least as soon) on my first days of sailing, meaning all of my cockpit time is quality cockpit time.
To do "neck-ups" i use an incline sit-up bench at the steepest incline setting.  I lay flat on the board, my arms slightly bent, hands on my stomach...  similar to where you would have them tucked when sailing, holding the tiller and sheet.  Slowly lift your head to the full upright position and hold it for a full second or two.  Then slowly set it back.  Start with say, 10-20 reps, and add some each day. (dont overdo it on the first day!)  I also alternate looking side to side over my shoulders to increase strength and flexibility in the Oh-so-imporatant glance back that is instrumental in keeping you out of harms way.
Abdominal and back excercises are also key.  Good iceboating fitness helps avoid fatigue that causes you to make mistakes, or worse yet impair your judgement and cause and accident.   Undecided

Call me stubborn, but I refuse to wear a harness until my physical condition requires it.  And then I might have to reconsider if I should be racing.  Thats my personal philosophy.  We shall see what I am doing in 20 years - I may well be wearing a "chastity belt" like some of my buddies by then.
us5285

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 11:29:50 AM »

I also do neck excersises, I put a 10# plate on my forehead and do three sets of 25-30 reps or untill I feel some lactic acid start to creep in, put it on the back of my head ,turn over and repeat. Then when its time to sail I put on my harness that helps me hold up my head and go sailing.With it my neck has never been sore. I never have to lean my head back (just for a few seconds) to rest my head.And most of all it lets me relax in the cockpit and concentrate on sailing. I am never thinking about my neck or head position, and in the case of my fairly pathetic sailing skills the less I have to think about the better. You have to do some experimenting with whatever you use mine is adjustable but they dont need to be.The only thing I think is important is a small block on the bungee part of the system, it allows you to swivel your head aroung pretty much friction free.I have been using one since 2001 and it has never gotten in my way. I use the adjuster for light air "pushing and puking" Take it of when running and snug it back up when sailing. As far as looks go, a bunch of guys in various states of "fitness" standing in track spikes and wearing skin tight rubber suits dont have to worry that much about the fashion statement they are making. In ten years of sailing I've only seen one person pull that look off and she does most of her sailing in Estonia I think.
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 02:39:49 PM »

Touche, Teal...  Agreed the Estoninan pulls it off better than any of us,  But I am still boning up!  and doing it without the strap at least for a few more years. 
basmoss

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 05:18:55 AM »

Any pictures of this system would be appreciated.  Thanks

Ben Shaevitz
Harrisville, PA

US 5395

basmoss1 at hotmail dot com
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 05:57:13 PM »

Here are some photos of my setup.

I attach the bungee about mid-point on the helmet (just above the ears).
I also string a small block on the bungee so that I can turn my head without pulling against the elastic. This helps to make is easy to turn your head and look over your shoulder.
The block is clipped to a hook attached to a harness that loops around my thighs. The hook is quite low, well below my waist.
The bungee is quite long. In fact, when I'm in the normal sailing position it's almost slack. The length means that it's fairly easy to tilt my head backwards when I want to.
The support is really only intended to give a little bit of support when sailing, and to help bring my head up after a tack or gybe.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 05:59:20 PM by Geoff Sobering » Logged

sieglege

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 12:33:23 PM »

I've been using this for years. Keeps my neck warm, padded, and gives some protection in the event of a crash. In most forms of high speed racing, devices such as the HANS are mandatory, and keep the head and neck from going forward when the rest of the body has rapidly decelerated (primarily to prevent basal skull fracture -- think Dale Ernhart SR.). The bungee systems could be very bad in the event of a crash as they would contribute to the head and neck more easily going forward.
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 03:09:27 PM »

That looks interesting.
Does the collar hinder your ability to get your chin onto your chest to see forward when you're down in the boat?

sieglege

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 10:05:49 AM »

It hasn't for me, though everyone is built differently. The back of the neck roll give me a bit of support under the back of the helmet. The difference in sore muscles is significant for the days when I wear it vs when I don't.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: