DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 24, 2024, 08:25:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fiberglassing  (Read 6156 times)
Bob Gray
Class Member

« on: January 01, 2011, 09:07:04 AM »

Here's a New year tip for you.  If you have to wrap fiberglass around say a mast or plank, it can be nice to secure it in place with cellophane packaging tape while the epoxy sets up. It does the job but can be a pain to remove and doesn't always leave the best surface. To solve this problem I use a product normally used for vacuum bagging called peel ply under the cellophane tape. This is a thin fine textured polyester fabric. It leaves a fairly smooth surface that, if desired, is easy to sand and since the epoxy flows into the peel ply, the adamine blush problem is taken care of.

I've been told  that a polyester fabric like that used for jacket linings can be purchased from fabric stores and works okay. Since I do a fair amount of vacuum bagging, I get mine from www.fiberglasssupply.com. The peel ply is called Econo Ply J and runs about $4.00 a yard (60" wide). For the trouble it saves and the surface it leaves, it well worth the money.
                                               Bob
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: